terça-feira, 2 de fevereiro de 2010

Go David! You're the best!

I’d do the Corrs’ drummer, the lead singer and that one who plays the violin

Há cerca de um ano atrás encontrei consolo em David Brent (salvo seja). A história não merece ser contada, até porque este não é o espaço para ela. No entanto, há que fazer o elogio dessa magnífica categoria que responde pelo nome de necessidade. É ela que nos faz conviver horas e horas com pessoas que não interessam nem ao menino Jesus. É por isto que as palavras de Tim, no final da série, são extraordinárias (conseguem um misto de redenção e de resignação) : The people you work with are just people you were thrown together with. Y'know, you don't know them, it wasn't your choice. And yet you spend more time with them thanyou do your friends or your family. But probably all you've got in common is the fact that you walk round on the same bit of carpet for eight hours a day. And so, obviously, when someone comes in who you have a connection with - yeah, and Dawn was a ray of sunshine in my life - it can mean a lot. But if I'm really being honest, I never really thought it would have a happy ending. I don't know what a happy ending is. Life isn't about endings, is it? It's a series of moments. And um, if you turn the camera off, it's not an ending is it? I'm still here. My life is not over. Come back here in ten years. See how I'm doing then. 'Cause I could be married with children, you don't know. Life just goes on.

E porque a vida continua, o bla di, o bla da, aqui fica referenciado um dos meus momentos preferidos do Office inglês (sim, Maria, tinhas toda a razão): quando David diz como trataria da saúde (!) às meninas dos The Corrs. Deve ser dos mais óbvios, but I really don't care. Além do grande momento de David - veja-se como ele tenta reverter a situação constrangedora - , gosto particularmente do momento em que Tim parece olhar directamente para nós. Brilhante.
K. Douglas